November Diabetes Month 2017
Raising Awareness about Diabetes in Palm Beach County
While the Diabetes Coalition engages in various assessments, prevention, and outreach events throughout the year, the majority of these activities occur during Diabetes Month each November.
Come Join Us!!!
In 2016, over 3,400 individuals received a free diabetes risk assessment screening, with over 57% (4+risk factor score) found to be at risk of developing Type 2 diabetes, and linked to a health care provider for further assessment and treatment.
Strengthening Our Prevention & Medical Outreach Initiatives
During 2017 the Coalition
- Revised and expanded the Diabetes Risk Assessment screening tool to provide a more in-depth screening analysis
- Expanded the individual health screening biomarkers to include BMI and lipid scores, in addition to the diabetes risk assessment and A1c scores
- Introduced targeted community prevention, medical and educational outreach programs.
During November the Diabetes Coalition
- Provides FREE “Know Your Numbers” diabetes risk assessments (offered in English, Spanish and Creole), glucose/A1c screenings, prevention, and education. Screening events occur throughout the county, from Jupiter, to the Glades, and down to Boca Raton.
- Invites you to Diabetes Awareness Day Saturday, November 11th, which is hosted by the Palm Beach Outlets in collaboration with the Diabetes Coalition, and Palm Healthcare Foundation.
**CONTINUE TO CHECK BACK SOON FOR ADDITIONAL SITES**
Our Goals for 2017
- Implement the new Diabetes Risk Assessment, which includes additional health biomarkers – providing a more accurate diabetes risk score;
- Establish new diabetes screening site locations in Palm Beach County;
- Continue to educate and link individuals found at risk of diabetes to a health care provider and diabetes prevention educational programs;
- Strengthen our collaborative efforts with Enroll Palm Beach, PBCMSS — Project Access Direct Care & Community Connections, and our other community partners, to increase referrals for assistance in securing health care coverage; and
- Expand our Children and Family Initiative – “Healthy and Ready to Thrive”.
Become Involved and Help Us Achieve Our 2017 Goals
You, your organization, business, or school, can partner with the Diabetes Coalition in a variety of ways.
1. Become a Diabetes Risk Assessment Screening Site
We need students, nurses, physicians, pharmacists, and others including English, Spanish and Creole-speaking volunteers to help with:
- Pre-Diabetes Month Preparation – Preparing Screening Site Materials and Resources,
- Event Preparation and Clean-up,
- Conducting Diabetes Screening Assessments, and
- Data Collection Activities.
3. Become a Sponsoring Partner
Since the Diabetes Coalition is a voluntary nonprofit alliance, membership dues, individual donations, and Sponsoring Partners are critical in helping the Coalition to go forward in achieving our mission and vision.
We are very grateful and welcome the many diverse contributions our Sponsoring Partners have made.
For more information regarding Sponsoring Partners, including the different Coalition initiatives, sponsoring opportunities, and the Coalition’s commitment to our partners please click on the button below.
Diabetes Awareness Day
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 11TH from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm
Diabetes Awareness Day represents the Coalition’s premier event of Diabetes Month, and is hosted by the Palm Beach Outlets in collaboration with Palm Healthcare Foundation.
In addition to free diabetes risk assessments and glucose screenings, the community is invited to join the Coalition, its partners, and volunteers for a day of learning, while having fun. Activities include:
- Partner Organization Booths with Resources and Educational Materials;
- Cooking Demonstrations;
- Zumba Dancing with Digital Vibez;
- Face Painting; and
- Free Raffles for Gift Baskets and Certificates.
Join us on Diabetes Awareness Day for “Healthy and Ready to Thrive” Children & Family Initiative Activities
A Symbol of Healthy Nutrition and Support of Exercising/Moving Each and Every Day!!!
Children (Kids) are encouraged to submit their photo showing their favorite “Rocking Healthy Lunch” with Mr. Champ Carrot.
Stay tuned for additional announcements regarding special events and activities during November Diabetes Month 2017. Please continue to check our website for the latest Diabetes Screening Site Locations, and other updates.
For questions, or additional information, please contact Debby Walters at email@example.com.