While the Diabetes Coalition engages in various assessments, prevention, and community outreach events throughout the year, the majority of these activities occur during our Know Your Numbers Diabetes Prevention Screening Campaign, which “kicks-off” at the beginning of Diabetes Month each November and continues through January.
Come Join Us!!!
“Onsite, Rapid Result” A1c Tests – The Gold Standard for Measuring Glucose – and Lipid Profile Values
- The Diabetes Coalition is now able to provide free onsite in-depth diabetes risk screening assessments, which include not only A1c tests, measuring average blood glucose over the past 2-3 months, but also individual lipid profiles.
- In 2018 the Coalition screened over 1,300 individuals, with nearly 60 % found to be at risk for developing diabetes (4+ risk factor score).
Strengthening Our Prevention & Medical Outreach Initiatives
During 2019 the Coalition
- Further developed the Diabetes Risk Assessment screening tool and expanded health biomarker assessments, providing a more in-depth screening profile;
- Implemented a new data entry and analysis program specifically designed and developed for the Coalition which will provide more in-depth analyses;
- began to fully transition to “real time” electronic data entry, participant screening results, and referrals via portable tablets in 2019 to improve our data accuracy, connect participants to needed follow-up services faster, and expand data collection and analysis;
- Recruited and trained new medical volunteers, including allied health, nursing and chiropractic students, who under the supervision of their professors performed the A1c tests and other health biomarker measurements and forged a new partnership with the Black Nurse Practitioners of Palm Beach County;
- Forged a new partnership with the Black Nurse Practitioners of Palm Beach County;
- Expanded its targeted community prevention, medical, and educational outreach programs; and
- Expanded the Go, Slow, Whoa Nutrition Education Program as part of the Healthy & Ready to Thrive Children and Family Initiative.
During Our Know Your Numbers Diabetes Prevention Screening Campaign, the Diabetes Coalition
- Provides FREE “Know Your Numbers” diabetes risk assessments (offered in English, Spanish and Creole), A1c screenings, and other health biomarker tests, prevention strategies, targeted educational events, and resources. Screening events occur throughout the county, from Jupiter, to the Glades, and down to Boca Raton.
- Invites you to our annul community-wide signature event, Diabetes Awareness Day Saturday, January 18th, 2020, hosted by the Palm Beach Outlets in collaboration with the Diabetes Coalition, and Palm Health Foundation.
STAY TUNED FOR SCREENING SITES COMING SOON!
Our Goals for 2019-20
- Further expand the health biomarkers assessed, to include a 90-second lipid panel analysis, with onsite results;
- Fully implement the use of portable tablets and printers for “real time” data entry and upon request, provide onsite resources and information to participants;
- Continue to establish new diabetes screening site locations in Palm Beach County in non-clinical community settings;
- Expand our medical and educational outreach teams;
- Continue to educate and link individuals found at risk of diabetes to a health care provider and Diabetes Self-Management Education programs;
- Continue to strengthen our collaborative efforts with PBCMSS — Project Access Direct Care & Community Connections, and our other community partners, to increase referrals for assistance in securing health care coverage and other needed services; and
- In our commitment to disrupt the devastating cycle of diabetes within families, the Coalition will further develop and expand our Children and Family Initiative – “Healthy and Ready to Thrive”.
Become Involved and Help Us Achieve Our 2019-20 Goals
You, your organization, business, or school, can partner with the Diabetes Coalition in a variety of ways.
1. Become a Risk Assessment Screening Site
We need students, nurses, physicians, pharmacists, and others including English, Spanish and Creole-speaking volunteers to help with:
- Pre-Diabetes Month Preparation – Preparing Screening Site Materials and Resources,
- Event Preparation and Clean-up,
- Conducting Diabetes Screening Assessments, A1c, tests, lipid profiles, and other health biomarkers evaluations;
- Diabetes Awareness Day; and
- Data Collection/Analyses Activities.
3. Become a Sponsoring Partner
Since the Diabetes Coalition is a voluntary nonprofit alliance, membership dues, individual donations, and Sponsoring Partners are critical in helping the Coalition to go forward in achieving our mission and vision.
We are very grateful and welcome the many diverse contributions our Sponsoring Partners have made.
For more information regarding Sponsoring Partners, including the different Coalition initiatives, sponsoring opportunities, and the Coalition’s commitment to our partners please click on the button below.
Join us for Diabetes Awareness Day and Rockin’ A Healthy Lunch, which will be held on January 18th, from 11am-3pm.
Diabetes Awareness Day
Diabetes Awareness Day represents the Coalition’s premier event of our Know Your Numbers Diabetes Prevention Screening Campaign and is hosted by the Palm Beach Outlets in collaboration with Palm Health Foundation.
In addition to free diabetes risk assessments, A1c tests, the community is invited to join the Coalition, its partners, and volunteers for a day of learning, while having fun. Activities include:
- Partner Organization Booths with Resources and Educational Materials;
- Tasty, Healthy, Edible Eats
- Zumba Dancing with Digital Vibez;
- Face Painting; and
- Free Raffles for Gift Baskets and Certificates
Stay tuned for additional announcements regarding special events and activities during our 2019 Know Your Numbers Diabetes Prevention Screening Campaign. Please continue to check our website for the latest Diabetes Screening Site Locations, and other updates.
For questions, or additional information, please contact Debby Walters at email@example.com.