While the Diabetes Coalition engages in various assessments, prevention, and community outreach events throughout the year, the majority of these activities occur during Diabetes Month each November.
Come Join Us!!!
A1c Tests – The Gold Standard for Measuring Glucose
- In November 2017, the Diabetes Coalition formally Introduced a more in-depth diabetes risk screening assessment, including A1c tests which measures average blood glucose over the past 2-3 months!
- 1,542 individuals were screened with 64.9% having a risk assessment score of 4+ which is the threshold for diabetes risk. In 2017, 342 A1c tests were offered, with 167 Tests being completed.
Strengthening Our Prevention & Medical Outreach Initiatives
During 2018 the Coalition
- Fully implemented the new Diabetes Risk Assessment screening tool and expanded health biomarker assessments, providing a more in-depth screening profile;
- Recruited and trained new medical volunteers, including allied health, nursing and chiropractic students, who under the supervision of their professors performed the A1c tests and other health biomarker measurements;
- Expanded its targeted community prevention, medical and educational outreach programs; and
- Introduced the Go, Slow, Whoa Nutrition Education Program as part of the Healthy & Ready to Thrive Children and Family Initiative.
During November the Diabetes Coalition
- Provides FREE “Know Your Numbers” diabetes risk assessments (offered in English, Spanish and Creole), A1c screenings, prevention, and education. Screening events occur throughout the county, from Jupiter, to the Glades, and down to Boca Raton.
- Invites you to Diabetes Awareness Day Saturday, November 10th, which is hosted by the Palm Beach Outlets in collaboration with the Diabetes Coalition, and Palm Healthcare Foundation.
**STAY TUNED FOR SCREENING SITE LOCATIONS
Our Goals for 2018-19
- Further expand the health biomarkers assessed, to include a 90-second lipid panel analysis, with onsite results;
- Fully implement the use of portable tablets allowing for onsite data entry, improved accuracy, and data analyses
- Establish new diabetes screening site locations in Palm Beach County in non-clinical community settings;
- Expand our medical and educational outreach teams;
- Continue to educate and link individuals found at risk of diabetes to a health care provider and diabetes prevention & self management educational programs;
- Continue to strengthen our collaborative efforts with Enroll Palm Beach, PBCMSS — Project Access Direct Care & Community Connections, and our other community partners, to increase referrals for assistance in securing health care coverage and other needed services; and
- Further develop our Children and Family Initiative – “Healthy and Ready to Thrive” in our efforts to disrupt the devastating cycle of diabetes within families.
Become Involved and Help Us Achieve Our 2018-19 Goals
You, your organization, business, or school, can partner with the Diabetes Coalition in a variety of ways.
1. Become a Diabetes Risk Assessment Screening Site
We need students, nurses, physicians, pharmacists, and others including English, Spanish and Creole-speaking volunteers to help with:
- Pre-Diabetes Month Preparation – Preparing Screening Site Materials and Resources,
- Event Preparation and Clean-up,
- Conducting Diabetes Screening Assessments, and
- Data Collection Activities.
3. Become a Sponsoring Partner
Since the Diabetes Coalition is a voluntary nonprofit alliance, membership dues, individual donations, and Sponsoring Partners are critical in helping the Coalition to go forward in achieving our mission and vision.
We are very grateful and welcome the many diverse contributions our Sponsoring Partners have made.
For more information regarding Sponsoring Partners, including the different Coalition initiatives, sponsoring opportunities, and the Coalition’s commitment to our partners please click on the button below.
Diabetes Awareness Day
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 10TH from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm
Diabetes Awareness Day represents the Coalition’s premier event of Diabetes Month and is hosted by the Palm Beach Outlets in collaboration with Palm Healthcare Foundation.
In addition to free diabetes risk assessments, A1c tests, the community is invited to join the Coalition, its partners, and volunteers for a day of learning, while having fun. Activities include:
- Partner Organization Booths with Resources and Educational Materials;
- Tasty, Healthy, Edible Eats
- Zumba Dancing with Digital Vibez;
- Face Painting; and
- Free Raffles for Gift Baskets and Certificates
ROCKING A HEALTHY LUNCH WITH MR. CHAMP CARROT
For the 2nd year, we are encouraging children (Kids) to submit their photo showing their favorite “Rocking Healthy Lunch” with Mr. Champ Carrot.
Stay tuned for additional announcements regarding special events and activities during November Diabetes Month 2018. Please continue to check our website for the latest Diabetes Screening Site Locations, and other updates.
For questions, or additional information, please contact Debby Walters at email@example.com.